Unlocking the Development Finance Toolbox to Support Sustainable Econ Dev
This course will take place on January 18 and 19.
Economic development is driven largely by funding and financing opportunities. Nearly every redevelopment, business expansion, community facility and infrastructure project hinges on the availability of affordable, patient and flexible capital. When addressing sustainability in economic development, funding and finance are even more critical. The lack of funding and finance can result in the ability for projects and programs to move forward in an effective manner. From the bedrock tools like bonds and targeted tool like tax increment to tax credit investment and access to capital lending programs, the development finance toolbox provides financing options that cover the entire development continuum. Unlocking the Development Finance Toolbox to Support Sustainable Economic Development will explore the intersection of development, sustainability and finance with an in depth review of the financing tools that catalyze and drive job growth and economic expansion. This course will not only explore the tools behind effective development but also examine success projects and programs that are driving communities towards a sustainable future.
- Learn the fundamentals of development finance and the tools used in communities
- Describe and define terminology specific to development finance tools
- Compare approaches to tool implementation
- Critique and evaluate tool use for most desirable outcomes
- Identify, describe and explain different positions/perspectives in the use of development finance tools
- Articulate in written form your reflections on maximizing the development finance tools available to communities