Advanced Topics in Fundraising
This course will go beyond the basics introduced in External Relations: Fundraising & Individual Giving and cover a number of special topics including fundraising campaigns, planned giving, special events, individual major gifts, the use of fundraising consultants, and the creation of a development plan. In smaller organizations, every member of the development office likely needs to have at least a passing familiarity with these topics. In a larger organization, you might be in a position focused on only one area. In either case, having an understanding of these topics and the strategies that inform their use will be a valuable tool. In each section, we may hear from experts in that particular discipline to provide context based on their own experiences.
By the end of this course you will understand the basic principles of a number of specific topics in fundraising. Specific learning objectives include:
• Classify the different types of fundraising campaigns, planned gifts, special events, major gifts, and assess their place in an overall development plan.
• Illustrate the reasons why a non-profit organization might choose to utilize a fundraising consultant and list the services that may be provided.
• Formulate a compelling Case for Support in anticipation of a fundraising campaign or as part of ongoing fundraising solicitations.
• Define the needed relationships between development and institutional staff, board members, and other volunteers to make a campaign successful.
• State the major types of planned giving vehicles and explain how a fundraiser works to incorporate them into a development program.
• Compare the different kinds of special events that happen in fundraising programs, explain how are they planned, and devise a formula to determine their return on investment (ROI).
• Summarize the process for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gift donors.
• Plan for making a major gift solicitation.
• Demonstrate how to incorporate the different components of fundraising into a comprehensive organizational development plan.
93826 and 93827